So, you are new to fundraising, but you are armed with a powerful mission. You know you need donors and don’t have any idea where to start. So, what to do?
Start with friendraising.
There are 3 easy steps to friendraising:
- Call a meeting of your staff and board of directors to conduct a mapping exercise- sphere of influence. This exercise will give them the opportunity to document their network of folks.
- Once the exercise is completed, have them identify 5 people who they will cultivate for your organization this year using this 5 x 5 cultivation plan.
- Next, work the plan. Determine how your 5 people will be touched at least 5 times by your organization in that year.
How will they be engaged:
- Invited in for a tour
- Meet the executive director
- Receive newsletters and emails with personal notes
- Meet clients, if appropriate
How will you ask them for financial support?
- Invite them to your fundraising events
- Ask them for sponsorship
- Send an appeal letter with a personal note
- Sit down over coffee to ask them for support
This is the perfect way for your organization to start identifying donors and move towards getting ready for raising major gifts.
I hope this helps. Your feedback is appreciated. Let me know how your organization is following the fundraising steps. Leave a comment below. Sharing is caring.
If you are a CEO or ED of a nonprofit organization and want to learn from me and others join the Supporting World Hope Facebook Group.